Thursday, February 11, 2010

day one hundred sixty-seven.





Day One Hundred Sixty-seven 2/11/10
Dress: Black and White Patterned Dress

Purchased From: Clothing swap
Year or Era Purchased: Fall 2009
Price: $Free
Accessories:  black tights, navy blue and green poof socks socks, green wellies, black cardigan, squirrel and bird necklace, black belt
Hair and Makeup: Low bun with bangs, usual makeup
Comments/Compliments/Complaints: Michael

Day: 


So this dress was too long and too big and not flattering and I wasn't all about it until  I gathered the fabric on each side and pinned it up.  I also added a belt to give it some shape.  I was not all about the snow/cabin fever weight gain I noticed in my belly region.  It better stop snowing so I can get my ass back into the gym 3-4 days a week.  


I had another snow day today.  As of 12:30PM my last scheduled client called to cancel.  That was a relief.  I still ventured out as our roommate Steve caused an intense shepherd's pie craving.  Driving on our street is so sketchy and horrible.  Fishtown is ridiculous.  I ventured out for shopping purposes- grocery store, Target, beer store, thrift store.  Ok, ok the thrift store was just to kill time so I could pick up Michael from the train but I did score two dresses there!  I also scored two at Target, both on clearance.  I almost never buy clothes full price there.  I just stalk the clearance section religiously.  I spent $34 on four dresses today between both stores.  Win. 


After we came home and I half parked half slid into a parking spot I commenced with the cooking while Michael helped the neighbors pick axe and shovel at our icy street to ensure cars didn't get stuck and drive into our cars. Sometimes it sucks being the first right turn off of a major interstate.  


I should have read my recipes before cooking.  The shepherd's pie took me way longer than I thought it would, about two hours.  I combined a few recipes and came up with this one: 


VEGETARIAN SHEPHERD'S PIE


SERVES 6-8


Seitan and Vegetable Filling:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tubs (24oz) seitan, rinsed and chopped
  • 2 cups onions, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
  • 4-5 parsnips, chopped
  • 1/2 bag baby carrots, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
  • 1 carton mushrooms, chopped
  • garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 7 ounces red wine
  • 2 1/2 ounces Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 2-3 tablespoons Bragg's Amino Acids
  • Sea salt and Cracked Pepper to taste

Mashed Potato Topping:
  1. In a large frying pan, heat the oil until hot, add the seitan, garlic and salt and pepper.  Fry until well browned, turning frequently, approximately 15-20 minutes.  A cast iron skillet works great for this
  2. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside
  3. Chop the vegetables (except for the corn and peas and onions) and toss to coat with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven until tender.  380 degrees for 15 minutes.  Set aside with the seitan
  4. Boil the corn and peas as directed on their package, drain and set aside with the other vegetables and seitan
  5. Add the onion to the pan with the thyme and garlic and a 2 tablespoons of butter,and cook until soft and translucent. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes
  6. Add the seitan and vegetable mixture and tomato purée and stir
  7. Add the red wine, Bragg's and vegetarian Worcestershire sauce and cook until the liquid has reduced to half the original volume. 
  8. Add the vegetable stock, bring back to the boil, then simmer for 30-40 minutes. The mixture should be thick and glossy. Allow to cool, then check the seasoning. 
  9. Boil potatoes, drain, and mash until creamy and smooh, adding the butter and half and half to your taste
  10. Put the seitan and vegetable mixture into a large baking dish, then top with the mashed potatoes. Use a fork to rough up the top.
  11. Place in a preheated oven at 400°F for 20-30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown in color.

Ok, that took equally long to post so I'm off to bed now.  Goodnight. 

0 comments:

 
designed by suckmylolly.com